One of the main problems that an Outlook user has to face is the loss of emails and contacts from the program when the system crashes. However, you can get most of the data back by retrieving the data from the PST files. Here we discuss how to retrieve contacts from PST files.
- Open the Outlook email manager program by double clicking on its icon found in the desktop and then click on the File menu located at the top left corner of the application window.
- From the drop down menu that appears on the screen, click on the Open & Export tab. Now a new context menu will appear on the screen from the options displayed on the screen, select the option labeled as Open Outlook Data File.
- The program will now display a file window for opening the Outlook data file, enter the following path C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook in the address bar of the file window. Replace the field named username with the user name you use to sign-in to the computer.
- If you are going to use the backup file to retrieve Outlook email contacts, select the file named as backup.pst from the window that opens on the screen. However if you are not planning to use the backup file, select the PST file with the name of your Outlook account. For example, if you have named your outlook profile as user, then select the PST file named user.pst.
- After selecting the PST file, click on the button named as Open found in the window for opening the PST file. The Outlook email manager will now create a new folder with name My Outlook Data File or Outlook Data File. The folder will contain all your data including your contacts, emails and other details that you have stored in the Outlook email manager program’s PST file.
- For viewing the retrieved contacts in the program, click on the tab labeled as People. You will be able to see the contacts that you have retrieved from the PST file in a separate folder in the contacts list. If you wish to save them too to your default contacts list, you can accomplish it by copying all the contacts and then pasting them in the default folder.